This morning our youth pastor at Hopewell, Jim Walker, said something that really stuck with me. He said, "I want to do Easter differently this year." He went on to explain about how each day this week he was going to read the story of Easter from the Bible starting with Palm Sunday (today) leading up to the crucifixion and on to the resurrection as a personal reminder of what Jesus went through that week and what He did so that we could have eternal life...WOW!!! After hearing what Jim had to say, it got me to thinking once again about how we all get caught up in the "busyness" of the holidays and lose focus of why we really should celebrate Easter (and likewise, Christmas).
I honestly don't remember a time that I didn't know the real reason we celebrate the sunrise on Easter, but I have been guilty of loosing focus to things like making sure the dress is perfect, the eggs are dyed, and the basket is filled by the Easter Bunny. I don't believe doing any of those are wrong and they are all a part of celebrating Easter in our home, but the focus should always be on what our LORD and SAVIOUR did for us at Calvary and that is what I want my child to always KNOW and BELIEVE!!!
So at some point everyday, Caroline and I have been watching Miss Pattycake's Easter Eggstravaganza (the songs are sooooo much fun for ME and her!!!) and every night at bedtime we do our Resurrection Egg for the day and talk about Jesus dying on the cross so that we can have everlasting life in Heaven. Both of these are a great way to present this story on a level that a child can understand and a great reminder to me of how my Lord bleed and suffered and died so that I can be saved from my sin!!! And to celebrate the new season and life that Easter Sunday brings, we have a pretty little spring dress, and we will dye the eggs* (and make cupcakes) as a festive way to spend time together, and I am pretty sure the Easter Bunny will come for a visit. But it has become more and more obvious each day to me as I watch Caroline grow up so quickly that I don't want my sweet child to ever remember a time she didn't know what Easter (or Christmas) was really about and as a parent it is MY - and Jamey's - responsibility to teach that to her (Proverbs 22:6).
So, how are we doing Easter differently? By making a commitment of taking up the cross to follow Jesus in order to find that NEW LIFE (Matthew 10:38-39). Meaning, to live everyday intentionally to glorify Him - HAPPY EASTER!
* Click here and then on PARENTS to read "The History of the Easter Egg", an interesting explanation of how dyed eggs, chicks, and ducks all became a part of this religious season.
**The movie and resurrection eggs can also be purchased from the Miss Pattycake website.
AND...I promised more pictures of Jacob Conner's (Caroline has decided when she talks about him, she has to call him by both names) party, so here they are. Can you tell these two didn't have a nap before party time???
The birthday boy decided that Mickey needed a "scratch" on his chin.
Maggie Ruth checking to see if all the noise was interrupting Jack and D'Daddy Gene's naps!.jpg)
Caroline escaping with some of Jacob's loot...and it was a toy gun (her daddy was proud)!!
Rachel helping Caroline get her party hat just right.
Trying to refrain from falling asleep at the table, while waiting to sing "Happy BirthCAKE" to Jacob.
Heather lighting the candle for Jacob to make a wish on his 3rd Birthday!!!




WOW! What a post - the great thing about doing Easter differently is that you, Jamey and Caroline will be eternally grateful for it!! It's a kingdom Easter and that's just mindblowing to me!! Some great ideas in there and I'm going to try to get the resurrection eggs AND Miss Pattycake for J's Easter basket. Do you think we can fine Miss P tommorrow afternoon somewhere? I used to use the eggs when I taught 4th-6th grade SS, but I haven't thought about them in forever!!
ReplyDeleteThe party looks like fun and Heather did an AMAZING job on the cake!!
One more thing... love the header and the new look!!
ReplyDeleteI love your new page header. That is a very good idea to use the resurection eggs. I wonder if I can find them local before Easter.
ReplyDeleteThe birthday party looked like alot of fun and she did an awesome job on the cake. I believe I remember you saying she made it herself.
GREAT pictures of Jacob Conner's birthday party. GREAT parents who teach their children the real meaning of Easter and Christmas.
ReplyDeleteLove, Aunt Kathy
Love the header! How did you do that? Thanks for sharing about the resurrection eggs- I will use this idea for when Jack gets a little older.
ReplyDeleteI love your new header. You definitely have to tell me how you did that. I really need to get those DVD's for Madison. I got the Easter decorating kit but I need to look for the Resurrection eggs. They use those at the egg hunt at church, but I definitely want a set of my own.
ReplyDeleteWow! She did a great job on that cake! My best friend, Lisa, is very talented like that also. Thanks for your great ideas. You are an awesome mom, wife, and friend.
We love the Resurrection Eggs and Mrs. Pattycake too! We went to see her in Enterprise one year and Madison loved it!! I think it is great what you are doing with Caroline!! God will bless you! Easter is such a special time to me- to think about what all Jesus went through and died on the cross for us even though we are so undeserving! It is so humbling each time I think about it and read it! It looks like Jacob had a great birthday!! You all have lots of little ones to enjoy!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful post. I couldn't agree more.
ReplyDeleteShonna, we finally got a Miss Pattycake video thanks to you! Gracie at first thought it was for babies but once she started watching it she kept telling me that she wanted to go and see her. Ella, who doesn't watch videos, was actually watching it and clapping! I just wish that I had gotten them sooner. If you ever hear of her being near us then please let me know! I will see you in a couple of weeks at the conference!
ReplyDeleteMandy JOhnson